Some of the best spring breaks are not spent on airplanes, car trips, or sandy beaches. While these adventures can be fun, sometimes what we really need is a break at home. Staycations can help us relax, catch up on life, and make memories right at home without the hustle and bustle of travel. If you are planning a staycation this year, what are your plans? Pool hopping? Trying new local hot spots? Projects at home?
Staycation tip: Order a few craft kits for when you’ve had enough sun or if Mother Nature chooses not to cooperate during a portion of your break. Try art kits, tie-dye shirts, bake a fun cake, make cookies, get creative! And don’t forget, Wholesale Sugar Flowers has some great, easy, one-step decorations to spruce up any homemade cake!
EASY PEASY 1-2-3-4 CAKE
Baking with kids can be fun and rewarding. The secret to keeping it fun? Start simple and don’t sweat the small stuff! Kids love being in charge and feeling the accomplishment of taking on and completing a big task. Give them a simple recipe, let them take charge and see how they flourish! The 1-2-3-4 cake is a timeless recipe and a great base for any cake vision.
- 1 cup salted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared pans
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-28 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks (about 30 minutes).
- (Optional: Finishing) Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread top with about 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Store cake loosely covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.