Hot sticky, summer days beg for citrusy sweets. Kids may go running for popsicles after a day at the pool, but what to serve for the adults? Go for lemon; you won’t regret it!
There is something about the beautiful bright yellow color, combined with the creamy tart goodness on a warm summer day. Serve in cake form, piped into cupcakes, or even as pudding if you are short on time. Keep it exciting and pair the lemon flavor with vanilla, coconut, or good old whipped cream for a classic treat.
So next time you are packing your cooler with popsicles for the kids, don’t forget a little something sweet for the adults too!
HOMEMADE LEMON CURD FILLING
This gorgeous lemon filling pairs perfectly with vanilla, white, or coconut cakes (store-bought, out of a box, or made from scratch, we don’t judge!) Top your treat with a cream cheese frosting or classic fresh whipped cream. And regardless of how you plan to serve it, you will have a beautiful canvas to display a few Luxury Flowers from Wholesale Sugar Flowers.
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tbs unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Slowly mix all dry ingredients (sugar, salt, and cornstarch) in a small saucepan.
- Add the egg yolks and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Whisk in the water until the mixture is smooth.
- Place the saucepan over medium-low heat until boiling (stir occasionally). The mixture will be thick.
- Immediately remove from heat and stir in the butter.
- Gradually whisk in lemon juice until smooth.
- Fold in the zest ½ tsp at a time, and stop when you reach the desired flavor.
- Seal with plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Layer as cake filling (pairs great with cream cheese frosting, and add a few Wholesale Sugar Flowers to accessorize!)
- Pipe into cupcakes for a sweet summery surprise, frost, and add sprinkles for an extra pop.
- Place the filling in a bowl along with a dollop of whipped cream.